A guest contribution on the Internet of Things from Carrie Nauyalis, solution market manager and evangelist for Planview's New Product Development market.
Wikipedia defines the Internet of Things (IoT) as the network of physical objects or “things” with embedded electronics, software, sensors, and connectivity to enable it to achieve greater value and service by exchanging data with the manufacturer, operator and/or other connected devices.
When I think of how many things or services I use that are part of this network, I am amazed.
My car runs its own system check and downloads its own updates. My washing machine is connected to the manufacturer’s help desk, I can access a home security camera from anywhere in the world, and I can stream music from my mobile phone to my home speakers.
All of this automation is great for the consumer, but is causing quite a stir at most product development companies.
What’s all the fuss about? In the webcast Connected Products: How Should the “IoT” Impact Your Product Strategy, Jim Brown, founder and president of Tech-Clarity and Patrick Tickle, chief product officer at Planview, discuss just how the IoT is changing everything we thought we knew about product development and IT.
To help you navigate within the webcast I’ve time stamped some of the topics I think you’ll find most interesting:
- 7:15 – What does the IoT enable and what enterprise systems are most affected?
- 10:30 – How product and IT portfolios are beginning to overlap
- 13:01 – Planview’s new graphic that helps illustrate today’s Integrated Product Development Process
- 15:31 and 39:14 –What percentage is pure IT and pure product development? There is likely a middle stack between the two. How much of product development is actually IT?
- 38:10 – How IoT is driving product development complexity
- 42:45 – How is IoT driving Planview? Did you know Forrester Research ranks Planview as a top provider in both IT Portfolio Management and Business Technology Portfolio Management?
The key takeaways at the end of the webcast provide a great summary, and viewers then asked some fantastic questions that many of you may well have. It’s a big subject with plenty of ramifications. I believe you’ll find this webcast will get you thinking and focusing in the right direction.
Carrie Nauyalis, solution market manager and evangelist for Planview’s New Product Development market, is passionate about establishing customer partnerships, developing market positioning, defining field enablement strategies, providing market-based feedback, and being an overall thought leader for the New Product Development market.
She has been with Planview for more than 15 years now, holding several positions including product management, global consulting, and customer care.
Nauyalisis an active blogger, public speaker and MBA guest lecturer on all things Product Portfolio Management and you can catch her on YouTube as one of the Product Portfolio Mavens and on Twitter (@PDPMprincess).