The Manufacturer | 01st June 2014 | Free
Solving the practical problems around the movement, storage, control and protection of materials, goods and products has always been a crucial part of the manufacturing process. But it’s fair to say the subject of material handling has often gone under many people’s radars.
In this supplement, we give recognition to the materials handling industry as one of Britain’s most robust sectors and a key enable of recovery in the wider manufacturing base.
The Manufacturer | 01st April 2014 | Free
While the UK is recognised as a European leader on health and safety in the workplace there is no room for complacency when it comes to managing H&S risks.
This report looks at health and safety policy, managing stress, and materials handling standards.
The Manufacturer will be hosting its Health and Safety conference in September in London. Stay tuned to The Manufacturer events listing for details.
The Manufacturer | 02nd April 2014 | Free, Research and policy, Government
The Annual Manufacturing Report 2014 surveyed 182 UK manufacturers in Q4 2013 across five key areas: Economy, policy and risk; Finance; Automation; Skills; and ICT.
The Report (AMR) was researched by The Manufacturer magazine and produced in association with Barclays, Zurich, Pera Training, eBECS and the Automation Advisory Board.
- 94% of respondents reporting that they are ‘very’ or ‘quite optimistic’; the highest figure since the survey began in 2008
- Nine out of 10 respondents believed German manufacturers received more support from their government than companies in the UK
- 58% of companies reported investing more in machinery/machine tools in the last financial year than they did the previous year
- Two thirds of respondents (67%) say that they plan on spending more on IT in the next 12 months than they did in the previous year
- More than three quarters (78%) of manufacturers reported implementing a form of automation into their manufacturing process in the last five years
- 68% of companies provide accredited training to less than 1 in 10 workers
The Manufacturer | 01st April 2014 | IT, Free
As the thought-provoking articles and case studies in this report demonstrate, selecting and implementing an ERP system is no light matter.
Make the right decision though, and ERP can be truly transformative. Especially for smaller and midmarket manufacturers where ERP usually replaces a hotchpotch of spreadsheets, accounting and invoicing systems, and basic sales and works order systems.
ERP, in other words, is a journey. So on that journey, let the following pages serve as your guide.