The key learning, challenges and advice surrounding GKN Driveline’s digital journey was given by its worldwide lead for Industry 4.0, Mohammed Zammer, during his keynote presentation at The Manufacturer Leaders Conference this morning.
GKN Driveline’s digital – or Industry 4.0 – journey only began around 18 months.
The organisation still has a long way to travel and is by no means an expert, Mohammed Zammer explained.
But it’s progress so far has given rise to some valuable learnings, which Zammer was happy to share:
- Achieve early buy-in from stakeholders
- Plants need to lead and own
- Senior management need to be aligned
- Mid-management need to be won over
Skills & Resources:
- Identify where you have a shortage of skills and resources
- Turn local pilots into global standards
- Encourage innovation, but ensure alignment
- Create a vision and communicate it effectively
- Hold regular knowledge sharing reviews
- Offer regular updates to shareholders
- Share success stories across all levels and functions
- Clearly define your expectations
- Not all pilots will be successful
- Cannot do it overnight, but start now
- Think big, start small
- Avoid getting lost in ‘technology maze’
- No perfect solutions in the market
- Accept the limitations of chosen tools and run
- Standardise as much as possible