Bud Hudspith has been dealing with trade union health and safety issues for over 30 years. His job is to represent Unite at various levels and provide information, advice and guidance to Unite Officials and Safety Representatives. This involves visiting workplaces and representing members in discussions with employers, as well as sitting on various committees. His current Committee membership includes, for example:
- Paper and Board Industry Advisory Committee (PABIAC)
- Printing Industry Action Group (PIAG)
- Castings Health and Safety Advisory Committee (CHASAC)
- Advisory Committee on Toxic Substances (ACTS)
- Chemical and Downstream Oil Industry Forum (CDOIF)
- Petrochemical Process Safety Leadership Group (PSLG) (and post Buncefield Groups)
- Microelectronics Joint Working Group (MEJWG)
- UK Chemical Stakeholders Forum
- Motor Vehicle Repair Forum
- NEBOSH Qualifications and Technical Council
- NSAPI/CIA Process Safety Management Project Board
Within Unite, industrial sectors covered include Graphical, Paper and Media; Metals; Chemicals (including Rubber); Aerospace and Shipbuilding; Electrical, Engineering and Electronics (including semiconductors), IT and Communications; Energy and Utilities: Vehicle Building and Automotive; Motor Components.
He represents Unite on various European health and safety matters concerning silica dust, the steel industry, and printing and paper machine safety; leads for Unite on REACH, Corporate Manslaughter and Directors H&S Duties; and has a particular interest in behavioural safety. In 1999 he received the ROSPA Distinguished Service Award for Health and Safety.