Recruiting staff and building a team is one of the trickiest parts of running a modern business. The employees of a business are arguably the most important aspect for sustainability and longevity. Whether you’re a multinational company or a small startup, having the right people in the right positions in your company will be critical.
The correct recruitment approach is important for internal company culture and as such it is important to get it right the first time.
This article will provide you and your business with five simple tips to make your recruitment easier.
- Use a renowned and well-known recruitment partner. If your business doesn’t have dedicated HR, then you will need to consider hiring a recruitment partner. It needs to be a professional firm that has history and pedigree in the industry. Recruitment is a specialist aspect and cannot just be winged, so ensure to do your due diligence and check their reviews and ratings. Outsourced HR is a trend of modern business and can be the best way to get the right employees into the business.
- Have a very clear job description. Knowing exactly what the company is looking for is the best place to start. Don’t develop the job description as you go or be flexible. Be as precise as possible – if you’re going to spend time and money on the process of finding a person, be sure that you actually need them. Do a job breakdown analysis and determine exactly what the person will be doing and why.
- Look internally first. Can the post be filled with an internal resource? There may be an opportunity to combine existing roles or add to a role. Or, simply promoting or moving an existing resource. If this can be done, it’s an easy win, as you already have the person inducted and involved in company culture and processes. Advertise using internal processes and see who is interested and if there can be business changes made to accommodate and avoid length hiring processes.
- Test, test, test. It’s always best to test before you hire. Regardless of whether you find an internal candidate, or have a potential person based on your talent pipeline, you will need to test the possible people. Use recognized skills tests to ensure that the people you consider hiring have the exact skills that you need, and the skills the business is looking for.
- Build talent pipelines and use all available data. As soon as you have started recruiting you should start to build a picture of the type of skills and human resources that you encounter. Being able to use big data to then analyze this information and have a list of candidates that you would consider employing is a great place to start the recruitment process.
This article has provided you with five simple steps to improve recruitment and hiring. The rationale for each of them is clear and the business risk associated with poor or sub-standard recruitment is obvious. It is thus important to do all that you can to ensure that any recruitment for your firm is done in a manner that builds and not destroys the company culture, the work ethic and overall productivity.