Britain’s business leaders marked the 30-day countdown to the International Festival for Business 2016 yesterday evening (May 17) at an exclusive showcase at BT Tower.
Attendees were given an update on the plans for the world’s largest business event, the International Festival for Business (IFB2016) by chair Max Steinberg, with the organisers’ explaining what delegates can expect from the festival.
Dr. Catherine Raines, CEO of UK Trade & Investment (UKTI), set out the role IFB2016 will play in the Government’s efforts to further boost UK exports and encourage inward investment.
The event featured an exhibition including British businesses that epitomise the best of ‘Brand Britain’, including:
- Brompton Bicycle: Run by IFB2016 ambassador and TM Top 100 exemplar, Will Butler-Adams, Brompton designs, manufactures and globally distributes more than 45,000 bikes each year from its UK factory. The company has grown from £2m turnover in 2002 to £33m, and exports currently account for 80% of its sales.
- M Squared Lasers: One of the UK’s fastest-growing tech firms, the business produces innovative laser products that are used to do a myriad of tasks, from treating cancer and developing regenerative medicines, to detecting chemical warfare agents and teleporting information. M Squared was recently the recipient of a Queen’s Award for Enterprise Innovation 2016.
- Kymira: Established in 2013 in the renowned science and technology labs at the University of Reading, its combined team of scientists and sport’s enthusiasts has developed a range of performance and recovery enhancing sportswear that incorporates its unique, patented KYnergy infrared technology.
- Cobra Beer: Founded by IFB2016 ambassador Lord Karan Bilimoria, Cobra Beer has grown into a global brand that exports to more than 40 countries and is produced in three locations worldwide.
- Balance Me: a family run start-up that has grown into a hugely successful premium, British-made natural skincare business over the past 10 years with results-focused formulas. The brand has won a legion of fans, including Oscar-winning actresses and British Olympians, amassing more than 40 industry and media awards.
- Candy Kittens: A gourmet sweets manufacturer founded by Made In Chelsea ‘star’ Jamie Laing, and Ed Williams. The business currently exports to more than 15 markets worldwide, including the US; Malta; Netherlands, and Germany.
Chair of IFB2016, Max Steinberg CBE explained: “IFB2016 is a central part of Britain’s ambition to promote economic growth, rebalance the UK economy, and hit our ambitious exports targets.
“As a showcase of all that’s great about British industry, IFB2016 will shed light on the industries that are fueling the UK in the 21st Century, the businesses that are driving these sectors, and the future stars of British enterprise across Manufacturing, Energy and Environment, and Creative and Digital.
UK Export Excellence Awards
The inaugural winners of this year’s Export Excellence Awards will be revealed at an exclusive ceremony and gala dinner taking place on Wednesday, 15 June at the Great Hall in Liverpool.
More than 400 of the industry elite will join together for a night of reward, recognition and celebration of UK manufacturing’s export success stories.
To find out more information and book your place, visit the website.
“These are businesses that are thriving across the country – firms with the ambition and creativity that embody the spirit of ‘Brand Britain’ that resonates around the globe. It’s this spirit that will be on full display in Liverpool in just 30 days’ time for the start of the International Festival for Business 2016.”
CEO of UKTI, Dr Catherine Raines commented: “The International Festival for Business 2016 will be the premier event of the business calendar this year.
“I am particularly excited by the UKTI programme, which will bring together UK companies of all sizes, experienced exporters and first timers with buyers and investors around world.
“From UK Food and drink businesses who want to build their e-commerce capabilities, to global investors looking for oil and gas opportunities here in the UK – I am calling on all companies to attend by registering for the IFB2016 Business Club today.”
International Festival for Business 2016
Backed by HM Government, IFB2016 takes place in Liverpool over three themed weeks from June 13 to July 1:
- Week 1 – Manufacturing
- Week 2 – Energy and Environment
- Week 3 – Digital and Creative
It will bring together thousands of global businesses, providing a platform for companies to connect and conduct international commerce, with content including:
- One-to-one appointments with suppliers, buyers and investors
- Export and investment opportunities
- A range of free business services including legal, financial and marketing advice
- Expert-led sector-specific seminars
- World-renowned events such as TEDx, Accelerate 2016 and the Horasis Global Meeting
- Large-scale networking receptions
- Inspiring talks from leaders in the fields of business, innovation and technology