The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders reveals the six shortlisted entries for its Award for Automotive Innovation 2012.
Sponsored by GKN Driveline and supported by The Times, the award recognises the strength of automotive innovation, design and engineering in the UK.
In its third year, the award identifies the UK’s best automotive concepts, technologies and ideas that have the potential to change how products are manufactured.
The six entries come from a cross section of industry, from electric vehicle charging to intelligent mobility technology. The winner will be chosen by a panel of expert judges from the automotive sector.
SMMT Award for Automotive Innovation 2012 shortlisted entries:
- ABB Ltd – ABB Terra Smart Connect Duo
- Jaguar Land Rover, Infiniti brand of Nissan Motor Company, Lotus Cars – REEVolution
- Optare plc – Optare Versa EV
- Squarell Technology – Driver Awareness Panel
- Vocis Ltd – eDCT Compact Seamless-Shift Clutch-Less Transmission for Electric Vehicles
- Williams Hybrid Power Ltd – WHP MLC Electromechanical Flywheel
Paul Everitt, SMMT chief executive said, “I am delighted to see a range of industry sectors represented in the shortlist, reflecting the outstanding contribution the UK makes to such a diverse global industry.
The shortlisted entries will present their product, concept or idea to a panel of industry leaders and enthusiasts in the final stage of the Award.
The winner will be announced at SMMT’s Annual Dinner on 27 November at Grosvenor House Hotel, London.