The latest Annual Manufacturing Report has revealed what the reasoning was behind manufacturers’ most recent automation projects.
Overwhelmingly, improving business efficiency and reducing production time were the intended objectives of automation investments – cited by 71% and 73% of respondents to the Annual Manufacturing Report 2017 respectively.
These was closely followed by improving product quality (67%), with a noticeable drop to 42% of manufacturers indicating that automation allowed them to better develop new products.
Improving employee satisfaction also factored into the decision to adopt automation, with almost half (49%) looking to improve health and safety for staff, and more than a third (35%) seeking to improve the working environment.
Other goals stated included: freeing up staff to undertake more value-added tasks, reducing non-staff input costs, and achieving greater plant flexibility.
A positive finding was that none of the manufacturers surveyed said that it was not clear what the objectives were in regards to their latest investment.
Most reassuringly, almost all (96%) of respondents said that their investment in met its defined objectives within the timeframe set for it.
You might also be interested in:
- What is stopping manufacturers from investing in robots?
- What do manufacturers expect from automation suppliers?
- How are manufacturers funding their automation investments?
- Most manufacturers already investing in automation
You can download the full Annual Manufacturing Report 2017 here.
The Manufacturer Smart Factory Expo
Nov 15-16, 2017 – Exhibition Centre Liverpool
The UK’s biggest showcase for the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) – a revolution in manufacturing agility, innovation and thinking.
Highlighting the best solution providers and technology offerings, this unique FREE event is for manufacturing business leaders keen to adopt the relevant tools and knowledge to drive business growth.
New for 2017:
- Buyer Lounges – matching buyers and sellers
- Tech Zones – Industrial IoT, Automation & Robotics, Additive Manufacturing, Digital Transformation, and Big Data
- Solution Theatres – engaging expo attendees with case studies and cutting-edge developments
- Mentor Clinics – find the answers to your questions
- Innovation Alley – growing the expo ecosystem with hardware start-ups