BAE Systems has announced it will take on a record 142 higher and degree level apprentices as part of a wider recruitment of more than 680 apprentices in 2016.
For the first time, the company will also offer a masters level apprenticeship, with 18 employees due to start the Systems Engineering Level 7 apprenticeship at Cranfield University this year.
Today’s announcement is part of BAE Systems’ ongoing commitment to nurture talent and high end skills as one of the largest recruiters of apprentices in the UK.
The BAE Systems’ apprenticeship scheme offers vocational experience as well as training up to degree and masters level, providing apprentices with the opportunity of full time employment with a recognised qualification at the end of their training.
Applications for the majority of apprentice opportunities can be made until 29 February 2016. For more details of BAE Systems’ apprentice vacancies visit: www.baesystems.com/apprentices
Successful candidates will join the company’s three to five-year training programmes, working towards designing, building and supporting some of the world’s most advanced, technology-led defence, aerospace and security solutions.
Nigel Whitehead, group managing director, programmes and support, BAE Systems, said: “BAE Systems is a company with great ambitions and nurturing a high calibre workforce is vital to our future. We take great pride in the record number of higher level apprenticeships on offer this year and the exciting introduction of master level degrees for our existing employees.
“BAE Systems remains committed to developing the skills needed in our sector and our apprentices enjoy not only high quality training but real hands-on experience developing, building and supporting the cutting-edge products that will safeguard our national security in years to come.”
Half of the 680 apprentices joining the business this year will be based at the submarine design and manufacturing site in Barrow-in-Furness shipyard in Cumbria, delivering the remaining Astute class attack submarines and developing and building the new ‘Successor’ submarines.
BAE Systems invests more than £80m in education and skills annually and is committed to offering high quality training programmes.
The company operates 19 new Apprenticeships Standards and Assessment Plans developed by Aerospace, Airworthiness and Maritime Defence Apprenticeship Trailblazer Groups, led by BAE Systems.
These Standards, approved by the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills in 2015 are designed to ensure that every apprentice in England is enrolled on a programme that meets employers’ needs, the needs of their sector, the economy more widely and moreover represents a fantastic development opportunity for the apprentices themselves.
The breakdown of vacancies available across the UK by region:
- 35 advanced apprentice roles and eight higher apprentice roles at the Company’s naval shipbuilding business in Glasgow
- Two advanced apprentice roles and two higher apprentice roles at BAE’s munitions production site in Glascoed
England, North West
- 309 advanced apprentice roles and 39 higher apprentice roles at BAE’s submarine design and manufacturing site in Barrow
- 67 advanced apprentices roles, 20 higher apprentices and 23 degree apprentices atBAE’s military air and information business in Warton and Samlesbury
England, North East
- 51 advanced apprentice roles at BAE’s aircraft maintenance academy in Humberside
- 12 advanced apprentice roles and twi degree apprentice roles in BAE’s military air and information business in Brough
- Three advanced apprentice roles at BAE’s Land UK business in Washington
- Two higher apprentice roles in Ash Vale and Two higher apprentice roles in Weymouth at BAE’s submarine business
- Three higher apprentice roles at BAE’s cyber security and intelligence business in Guildford, Surrey
- 43 advanced apprentice roles and 35 higher apprentice roles at BAE’s maritime sites in Portsmouth, Cowes and New Malden and Frimley
- 10 advanced apprentice roles at the electronic systems business in Rochester, Kent
- Six degree apprentice roles at BAE’s military air and information business in in Yeovil
- Four advanced apprentice roles in Telford and three advanced apprentice roles in Radway Green at the BAE’s Land UK business