The vast majority (92%) who have used rugged technology first-hand are keen to invest in more, according to a new multi-industry study.
Rugged technology is set to form a vital part in the future of manufacturing, with 64% of manufacturing professionals believing that tougher devices will be essential in their workplace over the next two years, with 44% users stating that tougher devices will form a vital part of the ‘5G revolution’.
The research, published by Samsung Electronics UK, took in the views of employees and decision-makers in the sector, among others, to reveal current attitudes towards rugged technology.
Rugged refers to hardware – including smartphones, tablets, laptops and wearables – designed to operate in extremely harsh environments and conditions.
Samsung uncovered an array of key insights into the benefits and attitudes towards the wider adoption of rugged tech, with those already using or deploying it in their workplace saying the following:
- Financial efficiency: 90% said investing in rugged tech has reduced their long-term company costs, with half claiming the reduced need for repairs and replacements is a major economic benefit.
- Lower the risk: A third of workers currently use their personal device for work, raising serious concerns around data security and associated business risks. By equipping employees with rugged devices, a third of users claimed that the standard of security improved.
- Productivity boost: More than a third (37%) said that the improved level of productivity experienced when using the devices was a key benefit.
- Tough tech:Two-thirds said that durability was the primary benefit, with 83% stating that their performance improved when not having to worry about the device breaking.
While more than two-thirds (68%) of users claim that they cannot imagine work life without rugged technology, the survey also revealed a strong will from non-users to deploy it in the future.
- Almost three-quarters (73%) of those that don’t currently deploy rugged tech would like to incorporate it into their workplace in the future.
- More than half (51%) believe their company would perform better with rugged tech, supported by 81% of current users who say they have already seen an improvement.
- More than two-thirds (69%) of businesses not using rugged tech have never considered the financial benefits, but more than 90% of current users say that it has already reduced their costs.