Tulip fined as machine cuts off worker’s fingertips

Posted on 22 May 2008 by The Manufacturer

Meat processor Tulip has received a £265,000 fine for health and safety failures at its Thetford, Norfolk, site which led to the harming of two of its workers.

In October 2005 Michael Warnes had three of his fingertips cut off as he worked on a packaging machine at the factory, and the following month Korim Richardson suffered a severe electric shock due to faulty wiring in a light fitting.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspection confirmed a lack of adequate guarding on the machine and a poorly maintained electrical system.

The firm accepted responsibility for the two incidents, saying: “Tulip ltd takes the health and safety of all its employees very seriously and is disappointed that during 2005 and early 2006 standards at its Thetford factory clearly fell significantly below an acceptable level.”