Twelve companies from across manufacturing industry have made the finals of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers’ Manufacturing Excellence Awards 2012.
Several new names such as KAB Seating and H K Timbers joined old hands of the MW, like Draeger Safety and MBDA, in the 2012 shortlist.
The winners will be announced on November 27 at an awards ceremony at The Dorchester in London, presented by broadcaster and former MP Michael Portillo.
Philippa Oldham, head of manufacturing at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers said: “These twelve companies demonstrate the variety in UK manufacturing, with firms making products as diverse as breathing apparatus, vegetable boxes and defence systems.
The IMechE’s Manufacturing Excellence programme has a rigorous selection process, including a detailed benchmark process and visits to the plants by assessors.
The 12 finalists are:
• KAB Seating: a Northampton-based vehicle seat manufacturer
• Draeger Safety UK: a Northumberland-based manufacturer of life-saving safety equipment for a range of industries
• ScotAsh: A manufacturer of sustainable construction products using by-products from power stations based in Fife
• SKF: Luton-based rolling bearings and seals manufacturer
• H K Timbers: Gainsborough-based potato and vegetable box manufacturer
• G & H Precision Engineering: Southampton-based precision engineering firm
• FFEI Ltd: Hertfordshire manufacturer of inkjet products, printing software and 3D printing simulation
• Altro Limited: Safety and commercial flooring manufacturer based in Letchworth
• Hymid Limited: Torquay-based company which provides injection moulding solutions
• Accutronics Limited: Battery manufacturer based in Newcastle-under-Lyme specialising in developing technologies for ‘smart batteries’
• Building Adhesives Limited: A pioneering manufacturer of tiling adhesives, grouts and ancillary products based in Stoke on Trent; and
• MBDA: Missile and defence systems manufacturer based in Lostock, Lancashire