ADS today welcomed the Department for Business Innovation and Skills initiative See Inside Manufacturing, an initiative which gives Aerospace & Defence an opportunity to engage schools, colleges and universities to help inspire future generations of engineers.
See Inside Manufacturing has been met with great enthusiasm and interest from the UK aerospace and defence sector and has willing participants from across the industry including: AgustaWestland, Airbus, BAE Systems, Bombardier, GE, GKN, Roll-Royce and Thales.
ADS says See Inside Manufacturing is a good example of a cohesive outreach programme to help generate interest in the aerospace and defence sector.
“Opening our doors allows the UK’s young people to meet the apprentices and workforce in action producing the vital equipment which allows our Armed Forces to do the job asked of them, and the modern commercial aircraft which are cutting emissions and making flying sustainable environmentally,” said Rees Ward, CEO at ADS. “There can be few better opportunities than See Inside Manufacturing to show our engineers of tomorrow what it is like to work in exciting, growth sectors, at the cutting edge of engineering excellence, which make a real difference to the UK’s economy and security.”
Statistics on the aerospace and defence sector:
- Supports over 360,000 jobs
- Worth £23bn to the UK economy
- Exported £16bn to the global market, placing UK Aerospace second in the world
- Supports over 314,000 jobs
- Worth £22.1bn to the UK economy
- Exported £9.5bn to the global market, placing UK Defence second in the world
* Data taken from ADS Aerospace and Defence surveys for 2010. Surveys for 2011 to be published later in 2012.